The vaccination of people over 60 is in full swing, with more and more public and private vaccination sites coming online. For now, medical scheme members are being directed to privately-managed vaccination sites closest to them, where available.
We understand that it must be especially challenging for Society members over age 60 who have registered on EVDS but have not yet received a vacccine token SMS, to make sense of where and when they will be vaccinated.
The Society is in regular contact with our Designated Service Providers, Mediclinic and Dis-Chem, about the vaccination of our members aged 60 and over, as this age group constitutes the majority of our membership. Dis-Chem has five vaccination sites in Gauteng (click here to see which are currently operating by clicking on the drop down box on the Dis-Chem page), with another six sites planned to open across the country on 1 June. At present Mediclinic Cape Gate, Milnerton, Medforum, Bloemfontein, Pietermaritzburg, Geneva, Vergelegen, Morningside, and Gariep are also administering vaccinations, but this list will be expanded as more vaccines arrive and the vaccination process gathers speed.
As the information about available vaccination sites changes on a daily basis, it is especially challenging to keep members up to date in this regard. Not only the registration and booking system on EVDS, but also the level of vaccine supplies and their distribution, play a role in which sites operate at any given time. We have therefore added the currently available information on vaccination sites as links to relevant external websites, at the bottom of this communication, and will do our best to update members as circumstances change.
What you can do
- If you have registered on EVDS but have not yet received a vaccination token SMS, please be patient – as the system scales up, more and more people will receive their tokens.
- If you have already been allocated a vaccination token and vaccination site details, please use the site to which you have been allocated.
- If you have already been allocated a vaccination token but missed your appointment, the system will generate a second appointment date, venue and time. If you miss this appointment, the system will generate a third invitation. Should you miss your third appointment, the system will close your registration and you will need to contact
0800 029 999 to register.
- If you are aged 60 or over and have not yet registered, please do so without delay if you wish to receive the vaccine. Please visit the EVDS webpage, or send ‘Register’ via Whatsapp to 0600 123 456, or register by dialling *134*832* immediately followed by your ID number.
Some of the vaccination sites are allowing walk-in patients over the age of 60 who have registered on EVDS but have not yet received a vaccination token SMS, but this is managed independently by each site and you may be turned away if you do not have a vaccination token SMS.
Some available information on vaccination sites
- Dis-Chem (from 1 June a number of additional sites will open across the country)
- On the SA Coronavirus website
- News article listing Western Cape sites, dated 24 May 2021